The Operation Safe Driver Program created materials designed to teach teen and novice drivers how to safely share the roads with large trucks and buses. We encourage the use of these provided materials. They can be used as part driver’s education programs or as stand-alone education, all available at no cost. This information can be used by driver’s education instructors, parent-teacher organizations, community groups, parents, teens or new drivers, or any other interested individuals or organizations.
- Nine Tips for Driving Safely Around Large Trucks and Buses – We provide nine easy tips to help new drivers safely operate on and navigate the same roads as large trucks and buses.
- The Dangers of Distracted Driving – This flyer outlines the dangers of distracted driving and provides tips on how to avoid distractions.
- Distracted Driving Pledge – Teen drivers can sign this pledge stating they will not use a cellular device while driving or engage in any other risky driving behaviors while behind the wheel.
- Stay Out of No Zones – This flyer describes each of the four major No Zones around a truck, along with an illustration.
- Safely Sharing the Roads with Large Trucks and Buses – This brochure outlines the ways trucks and buses operate and their limitations compared to passenger vehicles and provides tips on how we can all safely share our roads. This brochure is also available for purchase in the CVSA online store.
Voices of Safety Videos
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Our Roads, Our Safety Partnership, of which CVSA is a member, produced short informative videos from the perspectives of various road users. Check out these “Voices of Safety.”
Kristyn: Student Driver
Greg, Driver Education Instructor
Tom, Driver Education Instructor and Retired Truck Driver
The Teens and Trucks training program was created by CVSA in collaboration with the Arizona Trucking Association, Arizona Department of Public Safety and American Trucking Associations. Together these partners developed a successful program to help educate teens about safe driving practices around large trucks and buses.