The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) is a nonprofit organization comprised of local, state, provincial, territorial and federal commercial motor vehicle safety officials and industry representatives. The Alliance aims to prevent commercial motor vehicle crashes, injuries and fatalities and believes that collaboration between government and industry improves road safety and saves lives.
Our mission is to improve commercial motor vehicle safety and enforcement by providing guidance, education and advocacy for enforcement and industry across North America.
CVSA has four membership types: state/provincial, local agencies, associate and federal.
- Class I Members – Our state/provincial agencies are represented by various departments of transportation, public utility and service commissions, state police, highway patrols, departments of motor vehicles and ministries of transport.
- Class II Local Members – Our local agencies are represented by city or municipal police departments.
- Class III Associate Members – Our associate members are companies, organizations, trade associations, trucking and bus companies, industry suppliers and vendors, training institutions, consultants, insurance companies, state or provincial trucking associations, and large and small fleet owners or owner operators.
- Class IV Federal Members – Our Class IV members are federal government agency representatives.
Our member organizations, including 13,000 enforcement officials, are dedicated to transportation safety and are committed to helping the Alliance achieve its goals of uniformity, compatibility and reciprocity of commercial motor vehicle inspections throughout North America.
There are five geographical regions that make up the membership of the Alliance. Geographical distribution is as follows:
- Region I – Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, US Virgin Islands and Vermont
- Region II – Alabama, American Samoa, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia
- Region III – Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin
- Region IV – Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Mexico, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming
- Region V – Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon