The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) is a nonprofit association comprised of local, state, provincial, territorial and federal commercial motor vehicle safety officials and industry representatives. The Alliance aims to achieve uniformity, compatibility and reciprocity of commercial motor vehicle inspections and enforcement by certified inspectors dedicated to driver and vehicle safety.
Our mission is to improve commercial motor vehicle safety and uniformity throughout Canada, Mexico and the United States by providing guidance and education to enforcement, industry and policy makers.
CVSA has four membership types: state/provincial, local agencies, associate and federal.
- Class I Members – Our state/provincial agencies are represented by various departments of transportation, public utility and service commissions, state police, highway patrols, departments of motor vehicles and ministries of transport.
- Class II Local Members – Our local agencies are represented by city or municipal police departments.
- Class III Associate Members – Our associate members are companies, organizations, trade associations, trucking and bus companies, industry suppliers and vendors, training institutions, consultants, insurance companies, state or provincial trucking associations, and large and small fleet owners or owner operators.
- Class IV Federal Members – Our Class IV members are federal government agency representatives.
Our member organizations, including 13,000 enforcement officials, are dedicated to transportation safety and are committed to helping the Alliance achieve its goals of uniformity, compatibility and reciprocity of commercial motor vehicle inspections throughout North America.
There are five geographical regions that make up the membership of the Alliance. Geographical distribution is as follows:
- Region I – Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, US Virgin Islands and Vermont
- Region II – Alabama, American Samoa, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia
- Region III – Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin
- Region IV – Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Mexico, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming
- Region V – Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon