On July 29, the U.S. House passed a funding bill that included transportation funding for fiscal 2022. The bill includes funding for a large-truck crash causal factors study and full funding for commercial motor vehicle-related grants at or above the fiscal 2021 levels, including increases to the Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP) formula funding, High Priority Grant and Commercial Driver’s License Program Implementation (CDLPI) Grant.
- MCSAP Formula – $389.2 million
- High Priority – $59.1 million
- CDLPI – $56.8 million
- CMV Operators – $1 million
In addition, the bill has several policy riders included.
- Section 130 directs FMCSA to send notice of Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 385.308 violations by a form of delivery that records notice of receipt. § 385.308 outlines violations that if committed by a new entrant, may trigger an expedited safety audit or compliance review.
- Section 131 instructs FMCSA to add rear impact guards to Title 49 CFR Appendix G to Subchapter B of Chapter III – Minimum Periodic Inspection Standards.
- Section 132 prevents the U.S. Department of Transportation from enforcing ELD requirements for motor carriers transporting livestock or insects through Sept. 30, 2022.