U.S. House Appropriations Committee Passes Fiscal 2021 Bill
On July 14, 2020, the U.S. House Committee on Appropriations passed a funding bill that included transportation funding for fiscal 2021. The bill includes full funding for commercial motor vehicle-related grants at or above the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act fiscal 2020 levels, including increases to the Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP) formula funding, High Priority Grant and Commercial Driver’s License Program Implementation (CDLPI) Grant.
- MCSAP Formula – $389.2 million
- High Priority – $59.1 million
- CDLPI – $56.8 million
- CMV Operators – $1 million
In addition, the bill includes funding for research on behavioral responses to automated driving systems (ADS) and large-truck crash causal factors.
The bill also has several policy riders included.
- Section 130 directs FMCSA to send notice of Title 49 CFR § 385.308 violations by a form of delivery that records notice of receipt. § 385.308 outlines violations that if committed by a new entrant, may trigger an expedited safety audit or compliance review.
- Section 131 instructs FMCSA to add rear impact guards to Title 49 CFR Appendix G to Subchapter B of Chapter III – Minimum Periodic Inspection Standards.
The bill is expected to be considered by the full House next week.