On Dec. 20, 2019, Congress passed a funding bill that included transportation funding for fiscal 2020. The bill includes funding for research on behavioral responses to automated driving systems (ADS) and full funding for commercial motor vehicle-related grants at or above the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act levels, with a $2.3 million increase to the commercial motor vehicle operator’s grant program and a $1 million dollar increase to the high priority grant program.
- MCSAP Formula – $308.7 million
- High Priority – $45.9 million
- CDL – $32.2 million
- CMV Operators – $3.3 million
In addition, the bill has several policy riders included.
- Section 130 directs the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to send notice of Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 385.308 violations by a form of delivery that records notice of receipt. § 385.308 outlines violations that if committed by a new entrant may trigger an expedited safety audit or compliance review.
- Section 131 prevents the U.S. Department of Transportation from enforcing electronic logging device (ELD) requirements for motor carriers transporting livestock or insects through Sept. 30, 2020.
- Section 132 instructs FMCSA to add rear impact guards to Title 49 CFR Appendix G to Subchapter B of Chapter III – Minimum Periodic Inspection Standards.