The use of lithium batteries continues to increase, which means more lithium batteries are being transported in commerce, including initial-use lithium batteries and used batteries for recycling.
This virtual training course will introduce the hazardous materials employee instructor to:
- Types of lithium batteries and common uses
- Lithium battery chemistry and safety
- Lithium battery classification in §173.185, including exceptions
- Shipping papers, when required
- Marking, labeling and placarding
- Emergency response and incident investigation
- Undeclared lithium battery shipments
The course also includes case studies that will show the participant examples of lithium batteries and the step-by-step process to use when shipping lithium batteries.
This training course was made possible by a Hazardous Materials Instructor Training grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
Rules, Requirements and Policies