The use of lithium batteries continues to increase, which means more lithium batteries are being transported in commerce, including initial-use lithium batteries and used batteries for recycling.
This virtual training course on inspecting lithium batteries will teach the roadside inspector about:
- Types of lithium batteries and common uses
- Lithium battery chemistry and safety
- Lithium battery classification in §173.185, including exceptions
- Shipping papers, when required
- Marking, labeling and placarding
- Emergency response and incident investigation
- Undeclared lithium battery shipments
This training course was made possible by a Community Safety Grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.