On Aug. 1, 2018, the Senate passed a funding bill that included transportation funding for fiscal 2019. The bill includes full funding for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) related grants at or above the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act levels, with a $1 million increase to the CMV operators grant program.
- MCSAP Formula – $304.3 million
- High Priority – $44 million
- CDL – $32.5 million
- CMV Operators – $2 million
In addition, the bill has several policy riders included.
- Section 132 directs the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to complete the flexible sleeper berth pilot program in a timely and safe manner.
- Section 194 prevents the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) from enforcing the maximum weight requirements outlined in Title 23, Section 127(a) of the U.S. Code on two interstate systems in Kentucky.
- Section 195 prevents the U.S. DOT from enforcing electronic logging device requirements for motor carriers transporting livestock or insects through Sept. 30, 2019.
The House of Representatives has not yet passed their version of the transportation funding package. They will need to either pass their funding bill and work with the Senate to reconcile any differences, or vote on the Senate’s version of the bill.