North American Inspectors Championship (NAIC)
Roadside inspectors are highly trained professionals who save lives every day by keeping unsafe commercial vehicles and drivers off the roads. The work of a commercial vehicle inspector is not easy, but it is vital in ensuring public safety on North American roadways.
Each year, CVSA recognizes the best of the best by inviting member jurisdictions throughout North America to participate in the North American Inspectors Championship (NAIC), the only event dedicated to recognizing and rewarding commercial vehicle inspector excellence.
NAIC, formerly known as the "Challenge" series competition, is held in conjunction with the American Trucking Associations’ (ATA) National Truck Driving Championship (NTDC). NAIC participants represent the United States, Canada and Mexico. NAIC was created to recognize inspectors and officers – the backbone of the commercial vehicle safety program in North America – and to promote uniformity of inspections through education.
In addition to the competitive events, each inspector receives training on the latest safety information, technology, standards and inspection procedures while sharing ideas, techniques and experiences with other inspectors. Although participating inspectors compete for honors in several categories, each inspector leaves NAIC as a winner.
NAIC contestants are evaluated in the following six categories:
- North American Standard Level I Inspection
- North American Standard Level I Inspection Procedures
- North American Standard HAZMAT/Transportation of Dangerous Goods Inspection
- North American Standard Cargo Tank/Other Bulk Packagings Inspection
- North American Standard Level V Passenger Vehicle (Motorcoach) Inspection
- North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria Exam
All of the inspection categories are timed events and the compilation of scores for these categories result in a Grand Champion. In addition to a Grand Champion, awards are given for first, second and third place for selected inspection events.
- Read about the 2015 North American Inspectors Championship that took place in St. Louis, Missouri, on Aug. 10-14, 2015.
- View photos from NAIC 2015.